Visa Information


Visa options
If you are planning to visit Australia for a business event such as a conference, trade fair or seminar, you need to apply for a visa. The passport which you hold determines whether you can apply online, or if you need to lodge a paper-based application. The following information will help you identify the right visa and application process.

Online applications

European Union (EU) passport holders, and some other European passport holders, are eligible to apply individually online for an eVisitor visa to travel to and enter Australia. For a business event, the most appropriate visa is the eVisitor (Business stream) visa.

eVisitor eligible countries

CroatiaIcelandPolandUnited Kingdom - British Citizen
CyprusIrelandPortugalVatican City
Czech RepublicItalyRepublic of San Marino
EstoniaLeichtensteinThe Netherlands
FinlandLithuaniaSlovak Republic

You are not eligible to apply for the eVisitor if your only passport is a British National Overseas, British Dependent Territories Citizen, British Overseas Citizen, British Protected Person or British Subject passport.

A separate online eVisitor application is required for each family member who holds a passport from an eligible country and wishes to travel with you to Australia, including children under the age of 18 who are included on your passport. Applications for eVisitor visas are free. Further information on the eVisitor visa, including how to apply online, can be found on the Dept. of Immigration and Border Protection’s website.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
Passport holders from a number of countries are also eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) (Subclass 601) to travel to and enter Australia. If you are coming to Australia for a business event, the most appropriate ETA is the ETA (Business Stream) (Subclass 601).

ETA eligible countries
If you are a passport holder from the following countries, you can apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline, specialist service provider or Australian visa office outside Australia:

AustriaHong Kong (SAR of China)MonacoSwitzerland
BelgiumIcelandThe NetherlandsTaiwan*
BruneiIrelandNorwayUnited Kingdom - British Citizen
CanadaItalyPortugalUnited Kingdom - British National (Overseas)
DenmarkJapanRepublic of San MarinoUnited States of America
FinlandLiechtensteinSingaporeVatican City
FranceLuxembourgSouth Korea

* must not purport to be an official or diplomatic passport.

Travel agencies, airlines or specialist service providers could choose to charge a fee to arrange an ETA on your behalf.

If you are a passport holder from the following countries you can also apply for an ETA online through the Dept. of Immigration and Border Protection’s website.

Hong Kong (SAR of China)South Korea
JapanUnited States of America

There is no visa application charge for ETA applications lodged online but a service fee of $AUD20 is charged for use of the ETA website. If your family members hold a passport from an ETA eligible country and want to travel with you to Australia they must apply for their own ETA. This includes your children under the age of 18 who are included on your passport.

Further information regarding alternative visa types can be found here